So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. (Lu 16:22-23)
The Bible contains many references about hell. The prophets who spoke under inspiration of the Holy Spirit spoke about the danger of hell for the wicked. Jesus spoke about hell and the apostles also spoke about hell. Consider the message of the following verses:-
- Ps 9:17 – The wicked shall be turned into hell,
And all the nations that forget God.
- Mr 9:43 – If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched.
- Re 20:10 – The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
- Re 20:15 – And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.
Reality Of Hell
We know that hell is real because the Lord of glory Jesus Christ emphasized the danger of hell for the wicked during His earthly ministry. In Luke 16: 19-31, Jesus narrated the story of the rich man and Lazarus. The rich man went to hell and was in torment because of the fire. Apparently he was burning but not dying, so that the punishment was continual. Moreover, the story reveals that once in hell, there is no exit and the torment is everlasting.
In the revelation of Jesus to the saints, given to John, again we find the reality of hell emphasized as the eternal abode of Satan, his evil angels and wicked men.
To believe there is no hell is equivalent to believing Jesus Christ was a liar or a deluded man. Those who believe in Jesus must stand on the basis of His word which clearly states that there is an eternal Hell awaiting all those who reject God and walk in sin and rebellion. We must believe what God says. “Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar.” (Ro 3:4)
The Apostles believed in a literal hell, preached about it and warned people of the danger of being condemned to hell.
- Jas 3:6 “ And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell.”
- 2Pe 2:4 “For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;”
Characteristics Of Hell
- It is a place of weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 8:12).
- It is a place where people scream for mercy, have memories, are tormented, feel alone, cannot escape (Luke 16:23–31).
- It is a place of unquenchable fire (Mark 9:48).
- It is a place of darkness (Revelation 9:2).
- It is a place of eternal damnation (Mark 3:29).
- It is a place where God’s wrath is poured out (Revelation 14:10).
- It is a place of everlasting destruction (2 Thessalonians 1:9).
Inhabitants Of Hell
The bible says that hell was made for the devil and his angels, but that all who follow him in this earth by living in sin and rejecting God’s forgiveness will also spend their eternity there.
Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels – Mt 25:41
Then the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who worked signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image. These two were cast alive into the lake of fire burning with brimstone – Re 19:20
The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever – Re 20:10
And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire – Re 20:15
But the cowardly,unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”- Re 21:8