Isa 9:6 For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Tit 2:13 Looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.
One of the major deviation of cults from the standard doctrines of the Christian faith is with regard to the person of Jesus Christ.
- Athesits believe that Jesus was not God but a great philosopher.
- Christadelphians believe that Jesus did not exist before His conception and that He is not God.
- Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that Jesus was created by God just before creation and was used to create the other things. But they affirm that He is a lesser being and not God.
- The Mormons teach that Jesus was created by God and is a brother to satan.
- Muslim scholars teach that Jesus was a great prophet but not God.
- Hindus will tell you that Jesus was an avatar of Krishna.
- Unification church teaches that Jesus was a man who was givenn an assignment by God but failed.
All these and many other cults teach that Jesus was not divine contrary to the scripture. I therefore wish to examine from the scriptures the evidence we have that Jesus Christ is indeed God. In the Old Testament, the promised Messiah has attributes and names of God Almighty.
- Is 7:14 Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.
- Is 9:6 …….. He will be called Mighty God, everlasting Father….
- Mic 5:2 His going forth is from eternity.
In the Gospels, Jesus claimed equality with God and that He was co-working with the Father.
- John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.
- John 10:30 I and My Father are one.
- John 14:9 ……… He who has seen Me has seen the Father….
- Luke 3:22 ……. and a voice came from heaven which said, “You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased .
- Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
- In the Epistles, we find the following testimonies about Christ.
- Col 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
- Col 1:16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.
- Col 1:17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.
- 2 Cor 4:4 Whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.
- Heb 1:3 Who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.
- Tit 2:13 Looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ .
In addition, it is instructive to note the following facts in the Gospels and the book of Revelation.
- The Father gave a testimony about the son ( Lk 3:22)
- Jesus is omnipresent( Mt 18:20, 28:20)
- Jesus is omnipotent ( 1Tim 6:15, Rev 19:6)
- Jesus is omniscient (Mt 16:21, Mt 17:27, Jn 4:16-19, Jn 1:48)