Jesus desired and commissioned His followers to be Salt and light in the world. These two have profound influence in the earth. In the same way, Jesus expected that His followers should exert positive influence in the world around them. I wish to analyse the influence of both salt and light separately so that you may realize their importance and thereby realize your importance.
We first find the use of salt in the book of Leviticus, where God commands the use of salt in meal offerings (Lev. 2:13) In the new testament, we are admonished to “Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.” (Mk.9:50) and “Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.” ( Col 4:6)
Salt is a very important item in the world. I wish to list the following functions of salt to bring out this fact.
Influences Of Salt:
1. Maintaining life and health – Blood is full of salt
2. Sustaining other life forms – It is a fact that sea water supports more living organisms than fresh water
3. Flavouring food
5. Retarding decay of living matter
6. Used for healing and cleansing – 2K. 2:20-21
7. A stimulant for the appetite – Job.6:6
8. A promoter of peace – Mk.9:50
10. Evidence of grace – Col.4:6
“You are the light of the world”—I wish Christians would understand the weight of this statement. Light is very influential. Wherever light ventures, good things happen:
Influences Of Light:
1. Darkness immediately flees.
2. People are able to see and make proper decisions.
3. Evil is suppressed – notice that evil deeds are usually done under the cover of darkness.
4. People are able to work.
5. Brings out beauty of natural things.
6. Enables plants to synthesize.
7. Enables all life forms to grow – many living organisms mal-develop when denied light.
If we be salt and light, it means that whatever situation we get into, we will bring change and influence it for the better. We will bring life, dispel darkness and cause that which is beautiful to blossom. Are you exerting this kind of influence in your, family, workplace, business and neighbourhood ? I want you to know that being an influencer is not an option. It is a mandate for every believer. Live as salt and light of your world for Christ. Do your best to influence your world. You can.