“when I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also.” (2Ti 1:5)
Mothers are wonderful. Many men that have done great exploits in this world owe it to their mother’s wisdom and nurture.
- The survival of Moses was his mother’s resolve.
- The birth of Samuel was the dream of his prayerful mother Hannah.
- John Mark’s spiritual life derived from his mother’s influence.
- Timothy’s spiritual legacy came from his mother.
- The great American Missionary Lester Sumeral became a preacher in answer to his mother’s prayers.
- The great Indian Missionary statesman K.P.Yohanan became a preacher as a result of his mothers continual prayer request to God “O God, let one of my boys preach.”
Mothers have the potential to exert the greatest influence in a man’s life. At infanthood the mother is the closest person, nourishing from her own body and sheltering the newborn with her own body. Even as we grow up she is the provider, life director and the care giver we experience the most. She is the first teacher, doctor, Nurse and friend in the life of all of us.
Mothers have been known to be the most unselfish persons in regard to the bringing up of the family. They act out of pure motives that emanate from their love. When we were young, we observed that our mothers would eat last. If there wasn’t enough food, they would feed us children and forgo eating. They are sacrificial for the sake of their children.
Lastly, most mothers, particularly Christian mothers, are prayerful. They pray for their children and husbands constantly. Happy is the man with a praying mother. He will be successful. Most of us owe the direction our life took to the mothers we had. A godly mother is a great treasure. If you have a godly mother, heed the scripture; “…and forsake not the law of yout mother:” (Pr 1:8) All her entreaties are for your good.
We would like the mothers to know that we appreciate them, love them and honour them. You are wonderful messengers with a God given mission.
Just in case you may think I am the only one with these observations about mothers I have presented below some quotations from others.
Some quotations on mothers.
- Men are what their mothers made them. -Emerson
- One good mother is worth a hundred schoolmasters. -Herbert
- There is none, in all this cold and hollow world, no fount of deep, strong, deathless love, save that within a mother’s heart. -Herman
- If the whole world were put into one scale, and my mother into the other, the world would kick the beam. -Langdale
- No man is poor who has had a Godly mother. -Lincoln
- She who can take the place of all others, but whose place no one else can take. -Mermillod
- The bravest battle that ever was fought; Shall I tell you where and when? On the maps of the world you will find it not; it was fought by the mothers of men. -Miller
- The mother love is like God’s love; He loves us not because we are lovable, but because it is His nature to love, and because we are His children. -Riney
- The bearing and the training of a child are woman’s wisdom. –Tennyson